Re: [Foucault-L] The Archaeology of Knowledge

Well, power is not an explicit object of analysis in the later work, but it
is not, in fact absent from AK

"In this sense, discourse ceases to be what it is for the exegetic attitude:
an inexhaustible treasure from which one can always draw new, and always
unpredictable riches; a providence that has always spoken in advance, and
which enables one to hear, when one knows how to listen, retrospective
oracles; it appears as an asset ? finite, limited, desirable, useful ? that
has its own rules of appearance, but also its own conditions of
appropriation and operation; an asset that consequently, from the moment of
its existence (and not only in its ?practical applications?), poses the
question of power; an asset that is, by nature, the object of a struggle, a
political struggle" (p. 120 of English translation)

I think that the dynamic of power relations in the genealogical work is
fundamentally taken from the idea of dispersion in the Archaeology, although
the term really needs to be understood in its technical sense (viz. in
chemistry, for example, a dispersion is a mixture of heterogeneous
substances, such as an aerosol -- a liquid in a gas). If it's not too
presumptuous to recommend some of my own work, this is something I argued in
a piece, "Foucault and Power Revisited" published in 2004 in the European
Journal of Political Theory.

I think an interesting and illuminating way of approaching AK is to put it
in conversation with Deleuze and Lacan's work from the same time. If you
read it alongside Deleuze's Logic of Sense and Lacan's Seminar XI, you can
see a lot of resonances and what is effectively a conversation going on
among the three of them.

Nathan

Dr. Nathan Widder
Senior Lecturer in Political Theory
Royal Holloway, University of London
Department of Politics and International Relations
Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX, United Kingdom
Web page: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/politics-and-IR/About-Us/Widder/Index.html
Genealogies of Difference: http://www.press.uillinois.edu/s02/widder.html
Reflections on Time and Politics: