Re: [Foucault-L] chomsky-foucault debate

I realize that many would likely doubt the usefulness of thinking in terms
of ‘winning’ or ‘losing’ this kind of ‘debate’ (or if ‘debate’ is the
correct way to characterize their discussion in the first place), however -
entertaining the idea, in the way it has been in this thread so far, just may have
its uses.
That is, what does it say of us if, beyond being influenced by the
presidential debates, we have come to reflexively impose upon all public discussion
the framework of a contest.
Who, that is, has not been influenced by decades of televised discussions
between liberal and conservative commentators where - far indeed from Socratic
purpose (and far enough from Lincoln/Douglas elegance) - the ‘issues’ are
far less the point than ‘winning’ or ‘losing’ adherents; and what then does
it say of us when sophistry is our way - so much so that the ‘usefulness’
of public discussion is measured precisely by the degree to which it is a
contest?
Taking, for example, what Foucault has to say about the need for the
critical examination of apparently neutral institutions, does televised public
discussion, understood as an institution or practice - empower one group over
another when it is constituted - as it most often is - as a ‘contest’?

In a message dated 10/18/2008 4:33:18 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,