Re: [Foucault-L] The Hermeneutics of the Subject and volumes 2 and 3 of the History of Sexuality

Chetan,in the academic world of today, in which publications, tenure, and
promotion are both important and difficult to achieve, there is always
someone, or some publisher, telling us that we 'can't understand
such-and-such' without considering 'x'. And, hey presto, it turns out that
said publisher or individual happens to have just the product, 'x', to
correct this possible mis-reading.
The publication of Foucault's lecture courses are a good example of this, as
they offer material for a whole new round of interpretation and debate; a
new round that sells books, gets papers published, boosts careers, and so
on.
I'm not saying the lecture courses aren't important, nor am I saying there's
something wrong with selling a book or boosting one's career. I'm just
casting doubt on the general idea that some new key to interpretation has
come along that will help us to understand things which had remained
obscure. In other words, the whole framework in which the lectures are
edited, published, marketed, and discussed is perhaps (only perhaps) as
interesting as the lectures themselves.
Timothy