Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Race Sources?

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Chetan Vemuri
<aryavartacnsrn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think Foucault's 1976 lecture course, "Society Must be Defended" spent a
> good deal talking about modern racism, particularly state racism. Though I'm
> not sure that counts as a discussion of race. He did plan on writing a
> History of Sexuality volume dedicated to 'races' and the categorization of
> such but that was before greco-roman ethics caught his eye.

There are younger cultural critics whose work questions, in the spirit
of Foucault's unwritten work, the appropriation of discourse of gay
rights for the project of excluding real and imagined Muslim
immigrants from Europe and mobilizing Westerners for the "war on
terror": e.g., Jasbir K. Puar, Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism
in Queer Times (Duke University Press, 2007) and Joseph Massad,
Desiring Arabs (U of Chicago Press, 2007). Very timely.

Yoshie

Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Race Sources?
    • From: Chetan Vemuri