Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Race Sources?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Todd Callais <tcallais@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was wondering if any of you could recommend good sources to read
> considering how Foucault's ideas apply to issues of race? I am familiar
> with *Race and the Education of Desire* by Deborah Stoler and the references
> in Clare O'Farrell's book on Foucault. Since Foucault rarely talked about
> this issue directly I am looking for good sources that have used Foucault's
> work to discuss race. Any work on whiteness would be especially helpful but
> all suggestions are welcome.

Has anyone mentioned Wendy Brown's States of Injury? The book is more
a critique of identity discourse in general, especially identity
discourse embraced by those who seek redress for damage done by
sexism, racism, heterosexism, etc., but what Brown says also applies
to the problem of whiteness, since the post-civil rights right-wing
politics of whiteness is one based on a sense of injury, the politics
that is hideously more deformed than the identity politics of the
oppressed.

Yoshie