Re: [Foucault-L] The History of Sexuality volume 1 and western vs eastern sexuality

On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 17:36 -0500, Kaelin Alexander wrote:
> Chetan,
>
> Short answer: No.
>
> Long answer: Read Halperin's *Saint Foucault.*

Perhaps one of the real scholars can fill in my
memory on something I half remember: there's a
piece by Foucault or a transcript of a conversation
where he talks about the application of his ideas
outside the west. I don't recall whether he talked
about History of Sexuality specifically or not but
he did make sort of overarching (his whole program)
statements to the effect he was analyzing specific
cases and yes those cases were all in what one
could informally call "the West" and that while
his mode of analysis had applicability elsewhere
his historical narrative did not. Does that
ring any bells?

-t

Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] The History of Sexuality volume 1 and western vs eastern sexuality