Re: [Foucault-L] cfp

Ian

no attachment

maybe it got scrubbed by the mail server!

In any event could you send it to me?

martin

--
Martin Hardie,
Law Lecturer,

http://newcyclingpathways.blogspot.com/

http://auskadi.mjzhosting.org/

mhardie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

martin.hardie@xxxxxxxxx

skype/irc: auskadi

“Bicycling…is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds. The
airplane simply carries a man on its back like an obedient Pegasus; it gives
him no wings of his own. There are movements on a bicycle corresponding to
almost all the variations in the flight of the larger birds. Plunging free
downhill is like a hawk stooping. On the level stretches you may pedal with
a steady rhythm like a heron flapping; or you may, like an accipitrine hawk,
alternate rapid pedaling with gliding. If you want to test the force and
direction of the wind, there is no better way than to circle, banked inward,
like a turkey vulture. When you have the wind against you, headway is best
made by yawing or wavering, like a crow flying upwind. I have climbed a
steep hill by circling or spiraling, rising each time on the upturn with the
momentum of the downturn, like any soaring bird. I have shot in and out of
stalled traffic like a goshawk through the woods.”
Birdwatching author Louis J Halle ‘Spring in Washington’, 1947/1957