[Foucault-L] CFP: UniSA conference 'Foucault: 25 Years On'

Martin asked for this to be resent, as Ian's attachment didn't go through I will put it in as text. Martin, I think I already sent you an email via Clare's web group, I hope you got that.

The proposals were requested to be submitted by Friday but I'm sure Ian will consider anything he receives over this weekend.

I actually start work as a lecturer at UniSA on Monday and will be one of the people participating in the conference, giving a paper on the lecture on 'political monsters' in the 'Abnormal' lecture series. Pal Ahluwalia is Director of the Centre for Post-colonial Studies and I presume will also be there.

Here's the CFP for anyone who thinks they can attend:

CALL FOR PAPERS
Foucault: 25 years on

The Centre for Post-colonial Studies will mark the 25th anniversary of the death of Michel Foucault with a conference to reflect on the influence of his work.

Provocation:

Twenty five years after his death, reflecting on Foucault is an enormous task. His influence permeates disparate and innumerable fields and informs so much of our thinking, along with that of many great theorists who have followed him. Foucault’s influence is one of ramifying and far reaching interdisciplinary complexity, but he draws us together too, providing a common theoretical baseline to diverse disciplinary endeavours. He shows us the connections between things. Just as his life and his work connects up theoretical pursuits as diverse as queer theory and postcolonial studies, so his influence draws together and draws bridges between theorists. In so doing, Foucault’s legacy muddies the theoretical waters, forcing strange synergies and theoretical configurations such as the antifoundational humanist. Growing from the murky ferment of French colonial history, the father of poststructuralism’s story is as complex as that encounter, and his legacy is as mutating, unsettling and transformative. A reflection on Foucault needs to accommodate a consideration of the enormity of the shadow which such a legacy casts over continuing intellectual production.

Submissions:
We invite proposals (300 words or less) responding to the above provocation, particularly those which engage with the Foucault’s influence on the intellectual production of the author.

Selected papers will be presented at a conference to be held on 25 June 2009, with peer reviewed proceedings to be published online.

Please send proposals to Ian.GoodwinSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx by February 27 2009. Proposals should include an abstract, a short biography of the author/s, name, institutional affiliation and email contact details.

Further details and enquiries:
Ian Goodwin-Smith, Ian.GoodwinSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 8302 4515.
CPCS website: http://www.unisa.edu.au/hawkeinstitute/cps/default.asp
CPCS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Hawke-Cpcs/1405028034

Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] CFP: UniSA conference 'Foucault: 25 Years On'
    • From: martin hardie