Re: [Foucault-L] Critique of a short passage by Dreyfus & Rabinow regarding the Order of Things (michael bibby)

Hi Bo, hopefully you can forgive me for making such a mess of my posts, I havent been receiving some messages so there has been something of a communication break down (which seems to me only fitting given the subject!).

You, on the other hand, could easily be forgiven for feeling like you have bitten off more than you could chew; for feeling that you were being devoured by what you only wanted to taste.

Here are a couple of passages from the Order of Things which, for me, help to establish the dominance of certain themes.

"On the
threshold of the Classical age, the sign ceases to be a form o f the world; and
it ceases to be bound to what it marks by the solid and secret bonds of
resemblance or affinity."

 "Signs are
now set free from that teeming world throughout which the Renaissance had
distributed them."

"At the
beginning of the seventeenth century, …., thought ceases to move in the
element of resemblance. Similitude is no longer the form of knowledge but
rather the occasion of error, the danger to which one exposes oneself when one
does not examine the obscure region of confusions. ‘It is a frequent habit,’
says Descartes, in the first lines of his Regulae, ‘when we discover several
resemblances between two things, to attribute to both equally, even on points
in which they are in reality different, that which we have recognised to be
true of only one of them’. The agae of resemblances is drawing to a close. It
is leaving nothing behind it but games. Games whose powers of enchantment grow
out of the new kniship between resemblance and illusion; the chimeras of
similitude loom up on all sides, but they are recognised as chimeras; it is the
privilated age of trompe-l’ oeil painting, of the comic illusion, of the play
that duplicates itself by representing another play, of the quid pro quo, of
dreams and visions; if is the age of the deceiving senses; it is the age in
which the poetic dimension of langauge is defined by metaphor, simile, and
allegory."

"We already
find a crituqe of resemblance in Bacon. ..He shows [similitudes], shimmering
before our eyes, vanishing as one draws near, then re-corming again a moment
later, a little further off."

"Langauge
represents thought as thought represents itself."

"The
relation of the sign to the signified now resides in a space in which there is no
longer any intermediary figure to connect them."