Re: [Foucault-L] Erving Goffman, self performance

Dear Chetan,

There is a nice and inspiring article by Ian Hacking in which he compares Goffmann's approach with Foucault's and clarifies how, to some extent, their works could be read as articulations of comparable issues.

See: Ian Hacking (2004), "Between Michel Foucault and Erving Goffman: Between Discourse in the Abstract and Face-to-Face Interaction," in Economy and Society, Vol 33, No 3, 277-302

Yet another valuable essay on this theme, which deals with issues of (self) performance and which compares Butler's notion of performativity with Goffman's concept of performance, is:

Nicky Gregson and Gillian Rose (2000), "Taking Butler Elsewhere: Performativities, Spatialities, and Subjectivities" In: Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, Vol 18, No 4, 433-452.

I hope these references will help you out.
Best wishes,

Huub

Huub van Baar
Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA)
Faculty of Humanities
University of Amsterdam
The Netherlands