[Foucault-L] Erving Goffman, self performance

I had to read Erving Goffman's 1959 book on "The Performance of the
Self in Everyday Life" and I was surprised by some of the correlations
between his concept of the self as a series of theatrical
"performances" for different social situations and the work of Butler,
Foucault and Nietzsche on the de-centered nature of the self and the
projection of different "subjectivities" to others.

Is anyone familiar with this book of sociology? If so, what do you
think are similarities between Goffman and the writers above? More
importantly, what are the differences? What makes Foucault, Butler or
Nietzsche's conceptions of a performed self distinct from Goffman's
idea of performance? Where are they original vs where are they not so?

Hope this doesn't come at a bad time for everybody.

--
Chetan Vemuri
West Des Moines, IA

Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] Erving Goffman, self performance
    • From: Huub van Baar