Re: [Foucault-L] Canguillhem & health: a question about translation / interpretation

Flywheel seems like a very odd translation to me: a flywheel does not 'regulate' in any sense, it maintains inertia (in the sense of forward momentum) to the crankshaft assembly in an engine, hence 'volant d'inertie'. I think in French it normally now means 'steering wheel', but might it be a metaphorical reference to 'flight controls' of some sort?