Re: [Foucault-L] Canguillhem & health: a question about translation / interpretation

- You mention that the passage begins with a discussion of health as
"security for the present" - that's interesting in the light of the "Le
Petit Robert" entry for "volant" (which you have probably already looked
at). But, one of the meanings given is:

fig. Volant de securite: ce qui sert a regulariser ou a entretenir un
processus

fig. Security wheel/fly-wheel: that which serves to regularise or maintain a
process.

So, "health" is something of that nature?

Unfortunately, I haven't got the faintest idea what kind of wheel that is or
what machine it might be present in. Perhaps "volant regulateur" could be
simply translated as "regulatory mechanism"?

Regards,
Timothy