Re: [Foucault-L] pastoral power

Wrong question if you are reading Foucault's theories as related to a social and political ontology that is multiple. You can (and you may have to) study IL FAUT DEFENDRE LA SOCIETE and SECURITE, TERRITOIRE, POPULATION to find enough evidence to support and consolidate your desired thesis about the absolute importance or necessity of "pastoral power" in the geneology of governmentality expounded by Foucault. Such interpretation cannot build on a direct or a linear link but can only determine that pastoral power is a pre-requisiste for the various historical forms of "governmentality" discussed by Foucault.

Pastoral power cannot be the "foundation" for a particular form of governmentality but it is "diffused" (as a contingency that became necessity) in various regimes, assemblages, dispositifs, episteme, and forms of subjectivization that construct the form of "self" (and the "truth" of such a self) proper to "sovereignty" or "disciplinarity" etc.

While the answer may be evident if phrased differently, and the research question itself is very interesting if allowing for contingencies and multiplicities, it is just difficult not to read your inquiry as analytical (linear, categorical, based on dichotomies, linear causality, and teleology, etc.), deterministic, or even positivistic. I am sure that is not your intent! The Braudelian "Longue Duree" approach applied in Foucault's analyses is never meant to be reductive nor totalizing.

Hope this helps!

Fouad