Re: [Foucault-L] pastoral power

Goran,

In your clarification, I think you make sufficiently clear your caution with
respect to linear, evolutionary, or dare one say it, deterministic,
narratives -- no need to fear being tarred by Fouad's "analytical" list of
academic slurs.

In short, I think you are correct that pastoral power belongs in the
genealogy of modern governmentality, however much you'll have to hedge
'belongs' in order to hew to the particular kinds of historical causality
allowed or forbidden by genealogy. (For an interesting discussion of how STP
might exhibit a rethinking, with respect to Discipline and Punish, of such
causality or narrativity, see Stephen Collier's article, "Topologies of
Power" in Theory, Culture, and Society.)

I am wary, however when you talk of two distinct poles called the pastoral
and the political. Whatever the descendent of the pastoral is, it shouldn't
now be referred to under the same name, given hundreds of years of
displacement and recombination into entirely new assemblages. And the other
pole, by which I think you mean the biopolitics of population, shouldn't be
the sole owner of the name "the political" -- clearly what we are dealing
with on both poles are very much political technologies.

This worry about language aside, I do think one can speak of disciplinary
techniques and biopolitical techniques (that is, the apparatuses of
security) as being parallel. While there is a line, however indirect, that
can be drawn from pastoral power to the total disciplinary dream of the
Polizeistaat and therefrom to the contemporary, the inauguration of
liberalism and the development of techniques for managing the population as
a statistical aggregate were something new.

So, in answer to your question, I think the set of alternatives is false:
pastoral power is a precursor to some portion of the techniques of
contemporary governmentality (in agreement with your first option), but it
is not the only such (in agreement with your second).

But as to whether you can go on from the conclusion that pastoral power is a
precursor to ask whether the particular sort of selfhood that it inculcated
is still a useful rubric for analyzing the contemporary self... well, I find
this kind of doubtful, considering the intervening centuries. But this is
precisely what the History of Sexuality project is meant to answer, and you
need to look there to figure out how best to pose this question.

Best wishes,
Adam Leeds

--
Adam E. Leeds