Re: [Foucault-L] Dissertation Project: Foucault and panopticism

For myself, it would be interesting if there was an application to come from your treatment of this. For example, from my understanding, the panopitcon demonstrated a shift from person-centered power (ie, the sovereign) to a distributed or disseminated power with is embedded throughout society. In that view of pwer we are all agents (Foucault, 1980). The Panopticon demonstrated (for me) how we self-conform to suit our perceptions that society, or our boss, professors, or others have us under "the gaze". We internalize the gaze, the role of the observer and act in response, conforming. I liked Christopher Falzon's treatment of Foucault's concept of power as relational, and therefore creating possiilities such as resistance, power to others, etc., and found it worked well in terms of the role of dialogue in therapy, education, consulting, and community democracy. [Christopher Falzon

(1998). Foucault and Social
Dialogue: Beyond Fragmentation. London:

Routledge].

My treatment of Foucault in these areas can be found by looking up my name on Google Scholar. The one page intro is in Dutch - the remainder of the dissertation is in English.
Best of Luck,
earon

Earon Kavanagh, PhD, CEC, RCCWeb 1: www.earonkavanagh.ca
Web 2: www.executivecoach1.ca
Skype ID: earon_kavanagh
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Scholar-in-Residence: NTL Institute Journal "Practicing Social Change"
Member: Academy of Management
Member: NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral SciencesMember: BC Association of Clinical CounselorsMember: Canadian Academy of Independent ScholarsMember: Canadian Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology