Re: [Foucault-L] pouvoir/puissance

A related reference that might elucidate this somewhat is the translation of Althusser's book on Montesquieu, which makes this distinction with regard to what we might call 'social powers' (puissances) in Montesquieu - le roi, des grands, et le peuple (the king, the great, and the people) - and 'powers of government' (pouvoirs) - executive, juridical, legislative. With regard to the thesis that the juridical power is not a true power - in that it is restricted to 'a sight and a voice' ('to read and speak the law') - then this corresponds to the formula 'three puissances but only two pouvoirs'. What is interesting here is that the juridical pouvoir is also described here as a puissance (the capacity to speak and read) but really it is the right or authority to read and speak the law that constitutes it as a pouvoir.

Not being a speaker of French in any real capacity I have found this confusing too.

This is traced back to at least Spinoza (the distinction also exists in Latin and Italian).

For useful references on pouvoir/puissance see Patton's critique of Taylor, Hardt's introduction to his translation of Negri's Savage Anomaly, and Montag's review of Negri's Insurgencies.

Best of luck. As I said above, I have been struggling with the nuances of this distinction myself.