Re: MacKinnon and Foucault

On Fri, 3 Feb 1995 11:21:52 GMT Ken J. McPhail said:
>Is all power essentially 'bad'.....Did F think that all power was
>'bad'
>
>Ken

As far as I can tell, no. I wouldn't expect such moral wording from Foucault.
In an interview, if I'm not mistaken, he expressly criticized some versions
of marxism for conceiving a unitary, monopolistic control of power, to which
he opposed his microphisics of power. It could thus be "good" or "bad"
depending on who exerts or suffers consequences.

BTW, using the argument that "power is everywhere, so it's nowhere" against
Foucault's work seems to me stupid beyond the need to deserve an answer.

Yours,
Ken (another one :) )

Kenneth Rochel de Camargo, Jr. MD PhD
Technical Coordinator - UnATI (Old Age Open University)
Research Associate - Instituto de Medicina Social
UERJ (Rio de Janeiro State U.) - Brazil
Bitnet: kenneth at bruerj.bitnet
Internet: kenneth at vmesa.uerj.br