Power

Hello,

Is power essentially 'bad'?
I have Derrida in mind when reffering to that
question, which compells me to say ( I wish it wouldn't) that the answer
is unqulified *YES*.
What is the Good if not peace, perfection, immutability, life
eternal, knowledge, autonomy (self-sufficiency), self-identity (in truth, mon
hypocrite lecteur, I say it earnestly)?
and what is power if not disturbance, mutability, breach of peace if not
war, the death of the soul, the seducible nature of imperfectness, the
obstruction to sight, hetronomy, tearing apart?
Which makes of power not only bad, but indeed, The BAD, the enlightened
transformation of that old master of self-transformation and beguile, the
devil, that angel who introduced discordane amidst heveanly harmony by
striking a note against (but there shouldn't have been an *against* in
heaven) contemplating perfection.

But, then what about life and death? is life 'good' or 'bad'? The problem is
precisely that to take the precedent remarks seriously: life is good, and
'good' is death. so there must be something 'good' in all this 'bad'
which saves (meaning soizein?) life from being as 'good' as 'dead'.

In brevi, We cannot escape the badness of power so easily, at least, not
without escaping a whole metaphisical tradition, which I must stress, one
shouldn't leave so hastily (to live, yes, but not hastily), as it is not
altogether so bad. Yet, if I am 'called', if not to say 'seduced' by
something so indeed 'essentially' bad as *power*, it is also in order to
resist the immutable blith of death.

It is a point to ask, when, historically, the idea of life so
changed, that it opened up an abyss in the middle of the 'Good'.

Gabriel Ash
Tel-Aviv
ggabriel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx