condition of emergence

can anyone fill me in on if/where Foucault elaborates on the "conditions of
emergence" of a discourse? Is "condition" a Kant-derived concept, and/or is
it a fairly widely used philosophical term? From my limited aquaintance with
philosophy, I have the notion that condition means something that is prior
to and necessary for something else, but does Foucault use it in a different
sense? BTW, I came across "condition of emergence" in a Foucaultian
historical study and I'm pondering over to what extent condition implies
causality. For instance, is it akin to a general context, or does it have a
more determining role?

Cheers
fiona

Ms Fiona Moran . fmoran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . Perth, Western Australia