Re: foucault quote

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Apr 1995, Kristin Switala wrote:
>
> > 4. Probably the best way to start getting into Foucault is by reading
> > the following of his books:
> > a. MADNESS AND CIVILIZATION
> > b. DISCIPLINE AND PUNISH
> > c. HISTORY OF SEXUALITY, vol. 1
>
> Yeah, but I think _The Order of Things_ is a useful one to look at as
> well; it should enable you to see how Foucault positions himself in
> relation to humanism etc. From here it's interesting to trace the
> trajectory of this relationship as his work develops.

I agree. I think that OT is often neglected, even though it does, in
some ways, get the whole ball rolling. In some ways I think it is comparable to Hegel's
PHENOMENOLOGY in the way it serves as Foucault's philosophical
bildungsroman. This is not to say that Foucault did not produce
interesting sequels that tried to re-narrate this story of development.

What do others think about this reading?

> And it's a reasonable read!
>
> afw

Erik D. Lindberg
Dept. of English and Comparative Lit.