Re: Foucault, truth, and Rorty

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Erik D Lindberg wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 1995, Kristin Switala wrote:
>

> > Erik,
> > You said that Derrida put MC and OT through the ringer. I know
> > one piece (the one Foucault blew up at) Derrida wrote. Is there
> > another?

> Well, implicitly, yes. Derrida's "The Ends of Man," in MARGINS is
> organized as a criticism not merely of OT, but tries to connect it up
> with a trend of late humanist thought that recuperates metaphysical
> gestures in trying to go beyond humanism.
>
> But I also have a pet theory that one of the most important "implied
> audiences" of GRAMMATOLOGY is Foucault (or the intertextual reader who
> has just been inhabited by that text), again with the same sort of
> implications found in "Ends."

Also see a more recent Derrida piece on MC, "To Do Justice to Freud,"
published in *Critical Inquiry* last fall. It's kind of an extension of
his initial attack, though it disavows any such association.

Cheers,
David
David Kellogg No ideas but in things.
University Writing Program --William Carlos Williams
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708 No ideas in things, either.
kellogg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx --John Ashbery