PhD exams

As I am soon to face my PhD comprehensive field exams, in Modern Lit. and
Lit. Theory, I would appreciate input about what would be appropriate to
include on my Theory list as per Foucault. Would entire books or essays
be better, or a mix of both? Would a biography be good to include? How
much should one be expected to know about Foucault himself? I hope these
questions don't seem too juvenile, but my forays into Foucauldian theory
are recent and not as deep as I'd like, and at Duquesne University, where
the theory option is so new that one other person has exercised the
option, I'd like a bit of extra guidance. Please respond either
privately (schulte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) or publically. Thanks! Jean Schulte