Re: fromm/the genealogy of ethics

>Seems to be a difference between a bureaucrat caught up in truth-formation
>which only extends the disciplinary forces and a specific intellectual who
>resists such influences. There are different ways to play within a given
>game of truth. I agree that Foucault tried to in most of his philosophy
>avoid traditional Enlightenment categories of freedom and "liberation," but
>what I'm arguing is that unlike Nietzsche (will-to-power) Foucault lacks any
>foundation for his late emphasis on ethics which is self-mastery or
>self-overcoming.

not quite sure i follow this: foucault lacks any foundation. does he need
one? does he not help us to move beyond philosophic foundations? doesn't he
suggest instead that foundations are tentative, momentary and illusory
positions that are forged for purposes of knowledge production in relation
to the political and power matrix of the speaker?

further, am i to understand that this sensed lack of foundation is the
reason why you want to provide him with one, specifically in the form and
substance of individual choice?

Although the text below that you have cited/quoted is chopped up/off, it
does not convince me that what he is arguing is that the technologies of the
self all the sudden are ripped from any political contexts of power but that
instead the discourse about the self begin to avoid connecting up the issue
of the self with issues of coercive practices. It seems to me that the
"leap" is regarding an analytical style, agenda, methods, procedures, versus
a theoretical/philosophical break from his previous work, on the one hand,
and a difference in the practices of self that he is comparing/contrasting,
on the other hand.

Afterall the great divide between the archeological and genealogical turned
out to not be such a big abyss. do you want to dig a deep trench here
between the genealogical and subjective foucault for the missing discontinuity?