Re: 'Man's' doubles

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995 amst020@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm doing some work on reflexivity, science and Foucault and I was
> wondering if anyone had any idea of anyone who follows up Foucault's
> ideas about 'man's' doubles as described in 'The Order of Things'. I've
> tried to make connections to Derrida's critique of attempts to describe
> 'the end of man'. I'm interested in the way that these ideas can be
> related to issues concerning self-reflexivity, identification etc. The
> best description of the 'doubles' was in Rabinow's and Dreyfus's book-
> and a book by Rodolphe Gasche called "Derrida and the philosophy of
> reflection" Any other suggestionsor comments? I have also attempted to
> link this discussion to ones about identification and postcolonialism,
> ethnography and reflexivity etc, James Clifford, Donna Haraway etc. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

I would also look at Bernauer's _Michel Foucault's Force of Flight_. But
I also have suggested a few times that Foucault's "topography" of the
humanist self is maintained throughout his later work (can be seen
especially in "What is Enlightenment," and in his position of "permanent
critique") but is not discussed very much. I would argue that the
archeaological view of "man" is the basis of his politics of resistance.

Erik

Erik D. Lindberg
Dept. of English and Comparative Lit.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee