Re: Poststructualism, ethics and values

malgosia askanas wrote:

> Well, now that this discussion is moving away from reductive gesticulating,
> I am somewhat hesitant to continue talking in terms of "poststructuralism".
> But suspending this hesitation for the moment, I think it is misleading
> to call this mode of operation "negative", in the same way in which it would
> be misleading to say that the Surrealist program of "derangement of the senses"
> was "negative". Now I am not trying to draw a parallel between the Surrealist
> program and the modes of thought we glob under the term "poststruct". But
> the Surrealists were trying, through the systematic unhinging of certain
> habits, to make way for new kinds of creative energy. Similarly, I believe
> that the "poststructuralist" unhinging is aimed at releasing -- I don't
> know if this is a good term -- new forms of political thinking, ones not
> necesarily -- or perhaps one necessarily _not_ -- productive of "visions"
> as we historically understand the term. I am not trying to suggest
> a teleology, and I want to avoid dreaded considerations of "optimism", but
> I do think that there is, inherent in this unhinging, a joyousness which
> is not "simply" a joyousness of destruction, but of opening oneself
> to the new, and thus of creation. I think this "thus" is always present,
> but where does it come from? Is it axiomatic, as it were?
>
> Ah, on this note I will end...
>
> -malgosia

[Diane cheers for Malgosia.]

This is a CRUCIAL point. If our deterritorializations are only performed in order to
RETERRITORIALIZE, they offer us NO/THING...except, perhaps, a priviledge-flipping (from
one side of the predetermined binary to the Other...big whoop). The hope is that we might
think the unthought, the unthinkable... There is an inexpressible, joy, as Nietzsche
noted, in finding oneself on an open see of possiblisms.

The conversations we've been having here have reminded me of Alice Jardine's by now
overquoted wakeup call in Gynesis: "There is, after all, a difference between really
attempting to think differently and thinking the same through the manipulation of
difference."

DDD
dddavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.odu.edu/0/gnusers/davis/ddd.htm