[12 or so]: useful and docile bodies

On Wed, Apr 17, 1996 12:28:43 PM, Quetzil Castaneda wrote:

>So, yes, i agree we should rewrite the
>history of foucault into the proliferation of "foucaults" of the
>author-texts called fpouicatl.

quetzil:

Oh you sly dog you.

I quite agree that artificial periodizations are not helpful. I think in
his "disciplinary" phase, ie. middle phase, where much weight is given to
spacial arrangements and relations of coercion articulated via the
concrete regulation of bodies etc., there is still implied a relation of
knowledge, i.e. a discursive cofiguration of the space. Likewise,
discipline also involves an ethical relation (a theme that is often
reserved for his later work) in teh disciplinary subjection of individuals
within disciplinary relations.

the question is, was Foucault adding on to his model in a sort of expanding
exploration or was his erasing and beginning again each time. Are these
three models comensurable? are they inextricable?

I first intended to write this message asking you to explain how HSI was
the continuation of the archealogical projects of his earlier works, but as
I write I see that your point is quite well grounded. The spacial and
regulative considerations established in D&P have largely dropped out, no?
though sexuality is still a deployment, not a technique of the self as it
will become in Vols II and III.

Hmmm...

sam