Re: on the "actual past"

I agree that evidence and what is considered evidence can never have an
absolute hold, but I would argue with Malcom's reduction to ideology or
political investment. I know I've changed my mind about some issues
because someone has pointed out that if I believe X I can only disbelieve
in Y with an inconsistency. In a case like this (sorry for the
abstraction) it is part of my self-image not to entertain a certain kind
of inconsistency. While this self-image has political consequences, it
is not in the service of a narrow ideology in any direct sort of way.
Most forms of teaching in the humanities also follow this strategy:
getting students to extend their core of beliefs into new realms, or
using new perspectives that they will not reject to encourage them to
revise this core of beliefs, etc... One of the things I like about
Foucault is that his theories operate according to Power/knowledge but
his arguments and his rhetorical approach assume that people can be
convinced, that they can re-see and reconceive of things. There is a
tension, here, but one that Foucault works with very nicely.

Erik

Erik D. Lindberg
Dept. of English and Comparative Lit.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee