Re: Madness and Civilization

> OK, here's a question: why has Foucault's first major work never been
> translated into English in its entirety? All we have is Richard Howard's
> abridged version, which omits about 2/3 of the original (including the
> pages which are the subject of Derrida's "Cogito and the History of
> Madness"). What's the story and is there a neww translation in the works?
>
> David Pekerow
> DePaul University

I have often wondered about this also. Perhaps, translating
it in its entirety would be too great a chore, or perhaps the American
publisher didn't think that many would read the book in its entirety. I agree
that the abridged translation seems to be missing something. You get the gist
of the brilliance, but you don't seem to get the whole picture.