Re: Madness and Civilization

>> OK, here's a question: why has Foucault's first major work never been
>> translated into English in its entirety? All we have is Richard Howard's
>> abridged version, which omits about 2/3 of the original (including the
>> pages which are the subject of Derrida's "Cogito and the History of
>> Madness"). What's the story and is there a neww translation in the works?
>>
>> David Pekerow
>> DePaul University
>>

> I have often wondered about this also. Perhaps, translating
>it in its entirety would be too great a chore, or perhaps the American
>publisher didn't think that many would read the book in its entirety. I agree
>that the abridged translation seems to be missing something. You get the gist
>of the brilliance, but you don't seem to get the whole picture.

As you can see from the copyright notice, the English text is a
translation of an abridged French text that Foucault prepared as a "pocket
edition" for Plon (the longer, original edition is published by Gallimard).
Its likely the motives behind the Plon version are those behind the choice
of which text to translate.
rsl