Re: Reading Order of Things

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Jim Underwood wrote:

> >OK. The summer is quickly approaching. Would anyone be interested
> >in re-starting the _Order of Things_ reading group?
> >What else are you gonna do this summer?
>
> Well, I can think of lots of things. But it would be nice to start the
> reading again.
> I wondered what happened to everybody (especially the French speakers) - I
> guess it's really hard going.
>
> And of course I can't resist pointing out that it's not nearly summer here
> (although it is 21C - or about 70F, just to show I recognise that there are
> other cultures - at least one anyway - which do things differently).

Yes, I am interested in restarting the -The Order of Things-
reading group - as long as we read the original text rather than what is
written and already published on it. Of course, I have nothing against
secondary sources, but I think commenting on commentaries and
interpretations leads to laziness and ends up in perpetuating cliches.
Using the French original also seems to be a very good idea.

Ferda Keskin
Department of Philosophy
Bosphorus University
Istanbul