From: dfudge
To: foucault
Subject: Foucault and the Environment?
Date: 12 September 1996 03:25

Just wondering if anyone out there in the rather silent Foucault land knew
of any discussion of a Foucauldian approach to the environment. How about,
maybe a discussion of Nietzsche's writing on nature? I'm trying to think
how power/knowledge might specifically operate in environmental discourse.
I can understand how present environmental discourse might serve as a
quasi-scientific body of knowledge, but I'm wondering what space of
resistance exists for an environmental crisis which seems to be seen as
largely a by-product of capitalism and the fetishism of consumption. In
other words, I need help understanding how Foucault's analysis of power in
discursive formations can be utilized to understand environmental
destruction AND to orient people towards some alternative.

feel no harm...