Re: Applied Foucault

>To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: roussel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (roy roussel)
>Subject: Re: Applied Foucault
>
>>Clara Wing-see Ho wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone.
>>>
>>> In terms of "applied" Foucault, I always have the impression that
>>> Foucault wrote not with the intention that he would actually be
>>> "applying" his work in any way. I suppose this is why I find his
>>> ideas and theories somewhat erratic. Why would one write about all
>>> the inconsistencies within the social system, using extensive
>>> genealogical approaches without actually wanting to achieve any sort
>>> of purpose? This appears to be a self-contradictory thing to do.
>>> Perhaps I am completely wrong. If so, I am certain that someone will
>>> be kind enough to set the record straight.
>>
>> I can't set the record straight.
>>
>> It seems that in some respects Foucault's work is the
>>historico-philosophical application of ideas and interests that occurred
>>within the framework of Foucault's life alone. Foucault was writing an
>>applied version of himself.
>>
>> Nicholas
>>I think it would be interesting for both of you to read Deluze's book on
foucault
- esp section three - the one with the chapter entitled `foldings'. And
especially
John Rajchman's discussion of f in his book on Foucault and Lacan. F's
formulation
of the practice of the self is useful for the analysis of lots of things.
See Ian Hunter's work - especially his book on the formalization of the
study of literature. Or Colin
Gordon's stuff.