Re: Applied Foucault

> It seems that in some respects Foucault's work is the
>historico-philosophical application of ideas and interests that occurred
>within the framework of Foucault's life alone. Foucault was writing an
>applied version of himself.
>
> Nicholas

This is probably the most dangerous interpretation of Foucault's work.
Such interpretations lead to such disasters as James Miller's "The
Passion of Michel Foucault" and to excuses to dismiss the ethical/political
substance and implications of his work (just another version of "the
argumentum ad hominem": the guy was fucked up, so was the work!)
What if we knew nothing about Foucault's private life? Would we have less
to say about his work than we do about Blanchot's?

Folow-ups
  • Re: Applied Foucault
    • From: Nicholas Dronen