Re: Foucault's subject

Hi everyone,

I have been told and have deduced from my reading of Foucault that the
"self" as we know it is never purely subject. What distinguishes
Foucault's theory, I believe, from that of someone like Marx for example
is that for Foucault, we are perpetually trapped in a state of
subject-object, power-resistance. One cannot exist without the other.
Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe someone has a more enlightening view to add to
my random thoughts.

Another thing that I have been pondering is Foucault's notion of "docile
bodies". Within "society" or as we interact with each other in the midst
of social institutions, we become "docile bodies" many, many times.
Depending on how many power relationships we become involved in, we are
"docile bodies" in a number of different contexts. My question would be,
does this mean that docility can accumulate? In terms of power
relationships, Foucault supposedly views power as "productive" rather than
dominating or destructive. Does he intend for power to be productive in
the sense that it creates something substantial and also because it adds
up or accumulates as well?

Regards,

Clara Ho
The University of Calgary