Re: Using Foucault

Cher Mr. Franche

Thanks for the reference to the book. I am really interested to know more
about it. Which pub. house will offer the book? How can we get a copy?
I also have a question, I was wondering if you knew of any text that
Foucault wrote originally in italian?

Merci d'avance.

Atefeh

At 08:18 PM 1/11/97 -0500, Eric Angel wrote:
>I could not agree more with you on using Foucault as a tool in creating other
>genealogies, or other objective looks into the world we have and live in. I
>don't believe that Foucault meant for his writings to be abstract concepts, and
>I find it hard to find subjectivity in his writings.
>
>---------- Original Text ----------
>
>From dfranche@xxxxxxxxxxx (dominique Franche), on 1/11/97 8:15 PM:
>
>>Hi! I'd like to reply to a message from Phil Sawyer sent on the 13th
>>of December and also a more recent one which I have mistakenly
>>deleted so (sorry) I can't quote from it. Phil explained that he
>>was trying to use Foucault's analysis of power to enlighten his
>>understanding of the community participation in urban regeneration
>>partnerships. What strikes me about this message is that it is very
>>unusual for the list because he is USING Foucault to understand
>>empirical work. This contrasts with most of the messages I have
>>read in which people are, understandably, struggling with
>>interpretation (some of it goes way over my head!). Perhaps they are
>>struggling with interpretation in order to use Foucault in another
>>area, but this is not the feeling I get.
>>All this leaves me thinking : where is everybody else who is using
>>Foucault? What parts of his work are they using? What fields are
>>they applying it to? It seems ironic that Phil and I
>>are from similar departments and based in the same city (we have
>>never met) but that we appear to be the only people around talking
>>about using Foucault. There must be a few others out
>>there....mustn't there?
>>
>>All the best, Liz
>>

>Dear Liz,
>
>That's a very good point. I am one of the administrators of the Centre
>Michel Foucault in Paris, and I must confess that I am sometime quite fed
>up with all these interpretations around Foucault's work. What we are
>trying to do in the Centre MF is precisely to use Foucault, and not to
>comment upon his work.
>Personnally, my field is historical geography : I have used Foucault when
>trying to explain the 1994 genocide in Rwanda (in an article called
>"Genealogie du genocide rwandais", published in Les Temps Modernes,
>mai-juin 1995, and in a small book to be published next february), for
>instance, and I use it in a huge book I am writing about catholic missions
>in Rwanda.
>Using Foucault "as a toolbox", as he has put it, seems to me the most
>interesting way of dealing with his work. Fortunately, Phil, you and I are
>not the only ones using Foucault in order to understand empirical work. If
>you read French, you will be able to find very soon some new texts dealing
>with this matter : the Centre Michel Foucault and the Centre Georges
>Pompidou publish next month a book called "Aux risques de Foucault", with
>texts written by Arlette Farge, Arnold Davidson, Jana Sawicki, Michelle
> [...]

"Les evidences ont ete historiquement constituees, elles peuvent etre, du
coup, politiquement detruites."
J.Colombel