Re: epistemic violence

>Can someone explain to me what Foucault understands by epistemic violence--G.
>Spivak is alluding to F. in this respect-- and where I would find him
>discussing it?
>Thank you!!
>Veronika
>Veronika@xxxxxxxx

Varieties of violence are suited to whatever time you're living in
(episteme) and more specifically to whatever matrix of power you're living
in. Before the 19th century in France, the custom was to write whatever
violation of the law on the offender's body, much like in a Kafka story. It
was also important that the punishment be public.

After the turn of the 19th century, with the change in episteme, it's more
customary to punish the criminal in a way aimed toward his psyche, prisons
and solitary confinement and so on. In the next episteme, Foucault said he
foresaw the "decline of man" which would mean, possibly that ways of
punishment will change too. We can only guess at how, but we do know the
target of the punishment will differ radically.

All this is discussed in Discipline and Punish.