Re: epistemic violence

>Can someone explain to me what Foucault understands by epistemic violence--G.
>Spivak is alluding to F. in this respect-- and where I would find him
>discussing it?
>Thank you!!
>Veronika
>Veronika@xxxxxxxx

Hi Veronica,

In Archeaology, F. refers to discourse as "a violence we do unto things",
and I recall that there is a fairly clear account there of his reasons for
making that claim. He obviously regards discourse formations as creating
restricting and oppressive conditions. Perhaps epistemic violence is the
same as this discursive violence (?).

Jeff Smithpeters' response - which I've just seen as I was writing the
above - offers a quite different suggestion, written with more conviction
than mine. Perhaps he is right. In any case, I look forward to hearing more
about it.

Colin

The Holmes Family,
16 Gungurru Street,