Re: Miller's Biography

>> At 12:05 AM -0500 3/15/97, brehkopf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> >Anyway, I think this all merits some discussion. Perhaps I am the only
>> >gay man who read Miller's bio of Foucault who (1) thinks Foucault is
>> >amazing, and (2) is not offended -- but rather is impressed -- by
>> >Miller's bio.
>> >
>> >Here's my question: for all the comments about that bio characterizing
>> >it as homophobic, I've yet to hear a convincing reason for its actually
>> >*being* homophobic. Could someone who has read it and who thinks it's
>> >homophobic please tell me why they think this?
>>
>> Doug
>I agree. I never understood this criticism of Miller.
>
>Andrew Herman

Well, maybe that's because in a biography of any heterosexual philosopher
their sex life is not discussed.
Similar points can be made about small parts of Wittgensteins biography.
(Monk vs. Bartley)
I guess for heterosexuals their sex life also matters, but it doesn't
attract the attention of biographers. Miller could be seen as homophobic IF
his attention to F's homosexuality is out of proportion. (We could label an
extreme fixation on someones homosexuality as homophobic)

Probably this discussion is part of our inheritance from Foucault.....

Jeroen.

(thinking Foucault is amazing, and not offended by Miller's bio.)