Re: For Begginers

Don writes:

> Taking up an earlier suggestion (by Steve, I think) I propose a
> For Beginners thread within *this* Foucault list. If beginner
> postings are consistently named For Beginners, then advanced
> Foucault scholars have the option, when time or patience demands,
> to group together and manually delete these entries. On the other
> hand, when circumstances permit, they might interject, offer some
> pedagogical assistance, etc.

here's a suggestion: how about do a foucaultian analysis of the
relation of power in the terms beginner/advanced scholars? how does
one amass sufficent 'knowledge' and 'authority' which endowers
her/him to then speak for all us plebs?

'there is nothing mysterious or natural about authority. it is
formed, irradiated, disseminated; it is instrumental, it is
persuasive; it has status, it establishes canons of taste and value;
it is virually indistinguishable from certain ideas it dignifies as
true, and from traditions, perceptions, and judgments it forms,
transmits, reproduces. Above all, authority can, and indeed must, be
analysed.'
- edward said

cheers,
paul