Re: Adorno Screen Savers

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Lithoi@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >In a message dated 97-05-20 23:42:49 EDT, you write:
> >
> ><< The leap into praxis will not cure thought from resignation as
> > long as it is paid for with the secret knowledge that this
> > course is simply not the right one. >>
> >
> >So, what's that supposed to mean? Really, explain this to an ordinary human
> >being. ~~ Lithoi
>
> Doing something for the sake of doing something won't make you feel any
> less like an alienated intellectual if in the back of your head you know
> that you're doing the wrong thing.

The above is a much better explanation than the one I offered.

> I find it interesting that: 1) Adorno is being quoted with quasi-scriptural
> authority - what's this say about The Author?, and

What gives you the feeling A is being quoted with quasi-sciptural
authority? It was a sort of a joke. Don't you think the idea of having
sentences like the one from Adorno above as your screen saver is kind of
funny? I mean not Dennis Miller-type funny! Not Chris Rock funny! Just
Foucault-list funny. Maybe.

--john