Re: beginner. marx; foucault

mitchell wilson wrote:

> how much of a marxist is foucault? i'm reading _discipline and punish,
> and foucault's idea that we are complicit with our own subjugation and
> that we internalize discipline sounds like the marxist notion of
> "false-consciouness," or "ideology."

Sorry if you've already had a response.

Essentially the difference lies in the fact that Foucault doesn't see
the possiblity of a 'true consciousness', merely different
subjectivities. The notion of 'ideology' in the Marxist sense implies
both an autonomous subject lying (in both senses) behind it and also
that it is something which 'conceals' rather than 'constitutes' truth.

Very crude, but that's the bones of it.

Best wishes
Murray
=================================