Re: a silly question

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 25bb1972@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, it's 2 silly questions actually...
> I haven't been around on the Foucault list for a while so a bit out of touch.
> But something occured to me. Why is the English translation of 'Surveiller et
> Punir,' 'Discipline and Punish'? Currently I have doing some work on the gaze
> and I was looking for the famous part about the panopticon when it struck me
> that this was quite a large discrepancy in the words. Who decides these things ?
> Does anyone know / think they know why it was chosen?

Rebekah,

>From Wm. Spanos in his *The End of Education* (Univ of Minnesota Press,
1993), note 18 to chapter 2, "Humanistic Inquiry and the Politics of the
Gaze," the "disciplinary gaze" derives:

"Although Foucault does not acknowledge it, the immediate source of his
phrase is no doubt Jean-Paul Sartre's *le regard* (the look), which, one
recalls, like Medusa's eye, transforms the threatening and unpredictable,
because ultimately unknowable other, into stone. . . . Foucalt also seems
to be aware, the specific image goes back to the commonplace visual
depiction of God's all-seeing eye looking down on the vainly concealed
sinner in Renaissance emblem books, whichis accompanied by the following
verse:

Behind a fig tree great, him self did ADAM hide:
And though from GOD hee there might lurk, & should bee espide.
Oh foole, no corners seeke, though thou a sinner bee;
For none but GOD can the forgive, who all thy waies doth see."

Spanos at page 232, note at page 36.

brec cooke
brec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
b_cooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx