Re: new interpretations of marx (a reply)

I would like to disagree with one respondent, who wrote "this is
althusser's achilles heel, his
> positivism--there is no dividing science and philosophy--these divisions of
> knowledge are merely historical reflections of our current society and its
> god: the division of labor... ie, only in capitalism are their distinct
> knowledges such as religion, science, and philosophy..." In For Marx, he
equates science and philosophy, but in Reading Capital, he distinguishes
the two and, like Foucault, goes on to critique foundational bourgeois
philosophy and to argue for class struggle as the level of philosophy. I
could dig out the references if you like. In no case does he treat the
division between philosophy and science as an historical construct. That's
the great error of Gramsci and, I might add, the Frankfurt School.

Philip GOldstein