Help: the census

Hello all,
My name is Matt Archer, I am a graduate student in anthropology at
the university of Texas at Austin. For some time now I have been working
through Foucault, in particular the notion of governmentality, and even
more particular, using this tool to analyze the discourse and practice of
urban and suburban planning. Recently, my advisor (Dr. Melbourne Tapper)
has invited me to embark on a joint project. He wants to take a look at
the census from the perspective of "governmentality studies", or from a
"Foucauldian" perspective more generally. I have had little exposure to
the topic of the census and am writing to see if anyone can help with a few