Re: Moving On (2)

I heartily agree with what you wrote, Robert.

Not only does this kind of humiliation tactics degrade discussion, I
think there is also a point to be made about becoming so intellectual
about Foucault that we fail to try and work out implications for what he
wrote on a list like this.

To borrow from Deleuze, our thinking needs to be rhizomatic, to spread,
to engage new and strange fields of discourse (this is what Foucault
does with his amazing array of archival source material in, say, Madness
and Civilisation). Being elitist about what provokes reflection and
thought is just stupid, and being critical about the style in which is
done betrays an ignorance of the manner in which style is part of the
'magic of truth-telling'.

Just as power is everywhere and nowhere, opportunities for resistance
abound also: Paglia, Vogue, the Beatles, shopping, kaleidoscopes,
restaurants, internet discussion groups.