Re: reification, agency

In a message dated 5/14/98 7:20:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
H_SHOLAR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< "the market" is one of the
best reifications going currently, globally. when these horseshitters
constantly tell us that "the market" pressures us to do this that and the
other. >>

I wouldn't say THEY cause US to do things we wouldn't otherwise do. Economic
relations and interactions, for example distribution of goods, pricing and
sales, are mundane aspects of social life. The main factor causing activity
in any culture is economic.
So, before we get into a THEY, we have to consider what everyone has been and
is doing anyway. As for the THEY, we should be very perspicacious. A THEY
can either manipulate the market to avariciously seek their own interests, or
the THEY can attempt to control the avaricious tendencies of several
manipulators or of the entire 'herd.' I have no doubt that reifications may
be used by either group. But, I would not extend reification to the entire
system as that simply condemns human history and is too skeptical of a view to
hold to and still live in a human community. Only a Neitschean hermit could
critisize all of humanity and live apart from it. Therefore, I reserve the
criticism, "reification" for individual perspectives which attempt to force
particularistic viewpoints without considering the general interest, the
truthfulness of their statement, or the probability of what they are implying.

BTW, when it comes to reification, my pet peeve is property costs. There just
has to be a reasonable deal out there :-)