Re: Capitalist power is not possessed.

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, M.A. King wrote:

> I think that's perceptive--when I first got into Foucault, I began by
> reading HS1 (not really knowing what was going on), then went back to
> D&P--and one of the things that immediately struck me was how much D&P
> seems to be flavoured by Marx, and how that flavour completely drops out
> between the two books. But I've never seen anyone else comment on that
> shift, so I kind of wondered if I imagined it.
>
> Matthew

Wouldn't you say that HS1 nonetheless speaks to a certain discourse on
class mediated by the discursive strategies of biopower?

It has also been noted that Foucault apparently began HS1 the very same
day that he finished D&P...It seems hard to believe that a Marxist flavour
completely drops out between the two books...There is an interesting
discussion in Ann Laura Stoler's book Race and the Education of Desire
on HS1 which seems to suggest that HS1 was nevertheless very much about
class and a bourgeois order of things.

Alex Vasudevan
University of British Columbia