Re: Foucault and the Body

<< Eventhough Foucault is following the
Platonic cave-project in terms of body and soul, still the Foucauldean
body is placed in the postmodern discourse of body rhetorics.

Polina,
Could you please elaborate on how Foucault is "following" the Platonic
cave-project? I am not sure how you are using the phrase following.
I would suggest that you take a look at Allison Fraiberg's essay on
"Resurfacing the Body in the Postmodern." I believe it was in one of the
early 90's Postmodern Culture Issues. She also has it on her home page. Try
searching under her name.
I will be getting around to posting more in regards to Foucault in the
body in the near future. So, I am interested in your thoughts. I am also
starting my PhD work with the discourse of "the Body" as an important ascpect
of my work.
In particular, I am not sure that there is a "the Body" in Foucault's work
especially from D&P through his later texts and essays. Here I think of
Judith Butler's development of the concept of materialization of bodies rather
than of a body that matters. She gives I concise description in footnote 5 of
the 1st chapter of BODIES THAT MATTER. This happens in the midst of her
reading of the chora in the Timaeus. It is the empty, and feminized, chora
that allows the process of the materialization of bodies as a process to be
crystallized into the matter/idea distinction that underpins the geometry of
Plato's cave-project. What I find interesting and useful in Foucault stems
from his sense of the process of the materialization of bodies in particular
ways and via specific techniques. I find this to follow the cave project as
an line of flight from the ongoing soul vs. body raionalities.
Look forward to hearing from you more,
Chad