Re: Foucault and the Body

I thought Foucault's whole point was that disciplinary power no longer had
much to do with the physical body. Societies have developed new and
better ways to keep people in line beyond the crude exercise of authority
through pain and dismemberment, e.g., public schools, military
conscription, sporting events (seen people do "the wave" recently?),
shopping malls, etc., all of these things have more to do with the modern
"discovery," i.e., construction, of "the soul." Granted, the "body" is
involved in all of these things, but really only as a vehicle for a
well-shaped, malleable, interior-soul-psyche-feelings-what have you.

I know "body criticism," "on the body" stuff is hot right now, but I think
Foucault is the wrong person to use along these lines if you want to
develop an argument pertaining to contemporary culture in America. We
are, to say the least, more "body conscious" than ever, but what amazes me
is how far it seems people have internalized ideals of fitness, trimness,
buffness, what have you, with nary a threat of actual punishment a la
Foucault's poor condemned executees.

Best of luck,

James

James Parr